HARRISBURG – Students from six Pennsylvania schools were announced as winners of the second annual “Talk To Your State Senator” statewide video competition this week.
The contest, which was sponsored by the Senate of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania School Boards Association, encouraged Pennsylvania middle and high school students to submit videos of up to three minutes to share their ideas on how to improve school safety. The videos were judged by an independent panel on the basis of creativity, content and effectiveness.
Winners in the Middle School category include:
- 1st place – Alana Halliday from Landisville Middle School in Landisville, Lancaster County.
- 2nd place – Samshita Maram from Lionville Middle School in Exton, Chester County.
- 3rd place – Madison Borowski, Avah Burke, Izabelle Flick, Emma McFarland, and Madison McFarland from West Forest Junior-Senior High School in Tionesta, Forest County.
Winners in the High School category include:
- 1st place – Isabella Culver, Emma Narber, and Kyle Tressler from Penns Valley Area High School in Spring Mills, Centre County.
- 2nd place – Haley Morningstar, McKenzi Nesbitt, and Brianna Shipley from Everett Area High School in Everett, Bedford County.
- 3rd place – Gavin Anderson, Ryan Craig, Kyle Jordan, Anthony Panko, and Robert Setliff from Connellsville Area Senior High School in Connellsville, Fayette County.
All of the winners will receive prize money deposited into a TAP 529 college savings account.
The winning videos and additional information about the contest are available online at www.legis.state.pa.us/talk-to-your-state-senator/.
CONTACT: Melissa Hershey (717) 772-0500