Senator Mensch urges colleagues to approve his measure establishing the position of Pennsylvania Chief Nursing Officer
HARRISBURG – Legislation sponsored by Sen. Bob Mensch (R-24) establishing the position of Pennsylvania Chief Nursing Officer was approved today by the state Senate.
“Registered nurses play a crucial role in the delivery of health care across the commonwealth. They are the largest professional group in Pennsylvania, yet lack adequate representation in policy decision-making in Harrisburg,” Mensch said.
Senate Bill 848 would establish the Office of Chief Nursing Officer, modeled after the roles and confirmation process of the Physician General. The Pennsylvania Chief Nursing Officer will have the following duties:
- Advise the governor and Secretary of Health.
- Participate in the decision-making process of the Department of Health (DOH) on policies related to nursing and public health issues.
- Review professional standards and practices in nursing and public health.
- Consult with recognized experts on nursing and public health matters which are within the jurisdiction of the DOH.
- Provide advice on nursing and public health issues to the secretary and to other executive branch agencies.
- Coordinate educational, informational and other programming for the promotion of wellness, public health and nursing issues.
- Consult with experts on programs and issues important to Pennsylvania.
- Serve as a voting member of the State Board of Nursing.
“It is long overdue that the General Assembly and governor include registered nurses and other members of the health delivery team in health policy decisions,” said Mensch. “I believe this legislation is an important step in improving outcomes in Pennsylvania health care.”
Senate Bill 848 will be sent to the House of Representatives for consideration.
For more information on Senator Mensch’s legislation, visit www.senatormensch.com. State updates can also be found on Senator Mensch’s Facebook at facebook.com/PASenatorBobMensch/ or Twitter @SenatorMensch.
Contact: Lidia Di Fiore firstname.lastname@example.org (215) 541-2388