HARRISBURG – In light of the unprovoked and illegal invasion of Ukraine by the Russian government, Senator David G. Argall (R-Berks/Schuylkill) will introduce a resolution urging Congress to take further action.
“Tyrants like Vladimir Putin and those that support him must not walk away from their actions unpunished,” said Argall. “We must urge Congress to take every step possible to support Ukraine and punish Russia for disrupting decades of European peace.”
The resolution will urge Congress to do the following:
- Designate the Russian government as a state-sponsor of terrorism;
- Designate President Putin as a war criminal;
- Enforce the Magnitsky Act by sanctioning Russian leaders who have violated human rights;
- Block all assets and all transactions of Russian banking institutions;
- Place an embargo on Russian oil and gas;
- Increase NATO reinforcements to all Baltic nations especially our key ally, Lithuania;
- Provide humanitarian assistance to displaced Ukrainians;
- Recognize the Holodomor (The Great Famine of 1932-1933) as genocide;
- Ban Russian propaganda accounts from social media; and
- Ban all air travel over Russia.
Senator Argall represents four of the ten communities with the highest percentage of Ukranian ancestry in the United States: Cass Township, Gilberton, St. Clair, and Frackville. Cass Township has the highest percentage in the country.
Contact: Jim Brugger