HARRISBURG – Sen. Pat Stefano (R-32), as chair of the Senate Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee, and Senator Devlin Robinson (R-37) partnered with their colleagues in the House of Representatives at a news conference on Monday, Nov. 8, at 11 a.m., at Soldiers’ Grove, Main Capitol Complex, and highlighted legislation to benefit Pennsylvania’s veterans.
The event is being held in conjunction with the House Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparedness Committee.
Senate Bill 849, which Sen. Stefano sponsored, would add an exemption for those with a disability discharge and would ensure that veterans with medical discharges receive preference with seeking careers within the Commonwealth. It is expected to receive support in the Senate this week.
Bills focused on veterans that are anticipated to advance in the House include legislation that would remove licensing barriers for veterans’ family members, increase the monthly pension amounts for specific veterans, protect military discharge papers stored by county courthouses, enhance life insurance offered to members of the Pennsylvania National Guard and honor the sacrifice made by our brave veterans.
Also, the Senate Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee, will be holding a committee meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 9, at 11 a.m. to consider five bills, including:
- Senate Bill 861, which would facilitate the day-to-day movement of EMS personnel across state boundaries in the performance of their duties as assigned by an appropriate authority without jeopardizing public safety.
- Senate Bill 927, which would allow more health professionals to participate in the Medical Officer Health Incentive Program.
- House Bill 491, which would exclude veterans’ compensation benefits from income calculations for Commonwealth programs.
- House Bill 995, which would create a peer outreach and support program for veterans and their families.
- House Bill 1421, which would increase the amounts for veterans’ burial details from $150 to $250 a day.
CONTACT: Nathan Silcox, 717-787-7175, firstname.lastname@example.org